As technology advances, so does the digital marketplace. The driving force behind such advancements is the complex architecture and infrastructure found within websites and its various applications. Regardless of the purpose of your website, there are bound to be dozens of unique transactions. All of these transactions support the overall interactivity and user-experiences. Therefore, in order to provide a truly stable and high-performing website, website and application transactions must be continually monitored. While there are many different methods to accomplish this goal, a well-designed website monitoring tool should provide the necessary transaction monitoring solutions.
Primary Benefits of Web Transaction Monitoring
There are literally hundreds of potential benefits stemming from Web transaction monitoring. While some advantages are specific to the type of website and applications it uses, there are several universal benefits for all websites and its included applications:
- Enhanced availability of interactive Web forms, such as contact and order forms.
- Enhanced availability of an entire website enterprise and its included Web applications.
- A noticeable increase in the performance of an entire website. This is especially noticeable if the website utilizes multiple elements (applications) to complete interactive behavior.
- Faster website outage detection. The ability to have near-instant notification of website or Web application outages, due to hijacking, defacement or server downtime, is imperative to ensuring the most stable environment possible. The sooner an administrator is capable of dealing with an outage, the lower the affected user base.
- Effective planning capabilities when it comes to future website expansions or growth. All enterprises will experience the need for growth or improvement. The web transaction monitoring software provides the necessary data to help determine the rate of this growth, and the required increase in Web resources.
Essential Features to Look For
Much like any other specialized form of website monitoring, there are several features you must look for – specifically when it comes to the health and performance of websites and Web application transactions. The following features are considered essential for any website monitoring solution:
- Transaction Recorder – In order to monitor the health of specific transactions, such as navigating to, adding and checking out products within a shopping cart application, these transactions must be continuously executed. While possible through manual testing, the time it takes to complete a transaction limits the total scope of testing. Therefore, a website monitoring solution should allow you to record the tasks of a specific transaction event, and upon execution, repeat these tasks automatically.
- Diagnose Transaction Errors – The majority of website and Web application transactions require multiple steps to accomplish its goal. The most effective monitoring solutions are those that automatically diagnoses errors within each transaction step. This information streamlines the amount of time it takes to detect and correct performance issues.
Immediate Error Notifications – Not only should the monitoring solution provide immediate notifications of select errors, but it should also automatically determine the severity of an error. This ensures alerts are sent out to not only the appropriate party, based upon its severity, but also important alerts aren’t lost in a sea of non-critical issues or alerts. Make sure the solution allows users to define their own set of escalation requirements and provide the ability to set custom performance thresholds (baselines).